Thursday 15 March 2012

The Wheels on the Bus....What an adventure

Riding the bus in a large urban area is like reading a Choose Your Own Adventure book, you pick the path but never know how things will end up.  As someone who doesn't drive but needs to get from point A to point B other then by walking, I take public transit (bus, train, streetcar, subway) on a daily basis.  There are days when all semms fine and dandy then all of a sudden something happens and I wonder how I ended up on a vehicle going to crazytown.

I have been taking the bus without a parent since I was 10 (with a friend) and 12 (solo).  In that time I have seen a lot of things at times wondering if I was on Cash Cab the bus edition.  Just a mere two days ago there was a woman on my bus who was dancing about and asking other passengers if they had ever seen a crackhead or methhead look as good as her? I can answer that, no you truly are a unique individual Ms Crackhead and if I was a judge offering a sash for "Most Cracked Out" you would win hands down.  About a mnth ago there was a guy near the back of the bus where I was sitting who thought he was on his way to being the next great rapper equal only to the great Kish.  Once he was done entertaining us with his mad skillz and spitting some ill beats he was kind enough to offer to share the crack he was on his way to smoke with an elderly man near him.  So considerate, I generally offer my seat to the elderly who knew crack was as thoughtful?  Then there are those people who forget that there are people around them and carry on confidential conversations about work and co-workers.  Three weeks ago, I encountered two such geniuses on my way to work.  I really appreciated your stories especially the parts about one of my best friends who is one of your bosses. 

There are somethings about riding the bus that really irritate me.  My biggest pet peeves on the bus are:
  • Strollers (especially travel systems) that take up two and three seats.  Did you pay for those seats?  No, great move the stroller so I can sit down and then move it back in front of me.  Another pet peeve is when the stroller is loaded down like a moving truck and then the kid who should be in the stroller is taking up another seat.
  • Food, actually stinky food.  I am not a saint and do eat on the bus however my chocolate bar, muffin or bagel doesn't smell up the whole bus.  I do not need to be trapped on the 22 wheel hard top for 30 minutes smelling a fast food burger or onions off of your sandwich
  • Loud phone talkers, um yeah there are at least 30 other people on the bus and we all don't care that Sara is a skank and stole Justin from you or that OMG you totally just got felt up by George even though his swag is totally lame.  Cool story bro, tell it again.
  • Those who think the bus is there bathroom, yeah no need to be applying all your make up (I will admit to putting lipstick on while on the bus), clipping your nails, shaving your legs (witnessed on the GO Train from Aldershot to Port Credit) or flossing your teeth.
  • Those who think the bus is their bedroom, you are supposed to climb onto the bus/train not your date.  If I wanted to see random strangers dry hump I would hang out Wedding reception halls and watch out for the Maid of Honour and Best Man to slip into the coat check.
  • Bags on the seat, did you pay for that seat?  No then move your TNA duffel bag so I can sit my ass down.  Do I ever put my bag on the seat?  Yes when I am one of less then five people on the bus and near the back.
Despite the fact that I only pay for the ride and not the entertainment package that is included most days, I am thankful for (mostly) reliable transit service.  I am sure there is another post in the future about the bus adventures of the Queen of Public Transit.




No comments:

Post a Comment