Monday 16 January 2012

I am the Brand

Almost all of the reality shows I watch aren't just shows they (or the people on them) have morphed into a brand.  I didn't need a film crew, stylist or PR person to help mold me into my public persona-life did that for me.  The brand that is Charmaine is all about perception and how people see me, some of it is who I really am and other parts are all smoke and mirrors.  No that isn't an admission of being a fake, it is an admission of not correcting people who don't take the time to get to know the real me.

My "real full time" job is one that I actually love going to on a daily basis.  While my official title sounds like I should be wearing a tiara, sash and carrying a sceptre Provincial Health and Safety regulations won't allow that so I settled for a fancy silver name badge instead.  I am known for three things at work; being bossy, quirky and crazy.  Yes, I am all three of those things-to a degree.  L,  is a friend and co-worker pointed out once, I am not bossy I just know what everyone needs to be doing ALL THE TIME.  It is true and to be honest, I am always respectful of those I work with and will not make anyone feel small.  Crazy does come in handy a lot of the time, who else would work 24 straight hours three days after having surgery, a seizure and no pain killers.  Right, I would.  My crazy does tend to come from my dedication to the job.  Apparently one day, my crazy vibe was low since I was asked what was going on and why the change of location had killed it-the question was never asked again.  Quirky, hands down and you know what it is how people remember me and as a result I have a lot of repeat business because people know I am being real with them and not trying to be someone I am not.  Have these qualities hindered my career?  Yeah, hands down it has taken me longer then I have wanted to reach certain benchmarks however I think that my true dedication and work ethic are coming out loud and clear along with being recognised by those who need to see it.

Do you remember the song "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks?  For the longest time, I felt like that was my anthem and not in a good way-I didn't care who thought I was a bitch or why they thought it; then I realised what the lyrics of the song were actually saying and I was really okay with it.  There are probably a handful of people who I have come into contact with over the last 36 years who know what those lyrics mean when it comes to me.

All good brands go through transitions, some are better then other.  Remember the fiasco of New Coke? The advantage of being my own brand is I get to choose do I want a line of OPI nail colours or do I want to reach everyone and strike a deal with Revlon?  Will I endorse the brand love my his Royal Airness or kick it old school with Rev Run and Steven Tyler?  I am looking at 2012 and being 36 as a transitional year and ultimately being the year of awesome.

2 comments:

  1. WTG Char!!! I will tell you though, if this means you aren't coming back to the Board then I will NEVER read this again!! Just sayin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charmaine.....LOVE!! Congrats on your new blog and the new year of 2012 awesomeness!! The first two posts are fabulous like you and can't wait to read more! xo

    ReplyDelete